|Ayia Napa Monestary
The present monastery was built around 1,500 A.D. but inside the church theire is a cave which suggests it may have been used as a place of worship during a much earlier period.
It started originally as a women's convent but in 1668 was changed to a men's monastery.
From 758 onwards organised monastic life was disrupted and monks lived there only on an occasional basis.
The monastery is now the symbol of Ayia Napa.
The article has been moved here